Plant Based Chorizo
Updated: Jan 11, 2021
A really good sandwich filler, pizza topping or snack for a good hit of protein pre/during or post workout!
Half a medium onion
8 to 10 cloves of garlic
25g textured soy mince
100g wheat gluten
5 tbsp smoked paprika
3 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
½ tsp cayenne pepper/chilli powder
½ tsp black pepper
5 tsp mixed herbs
4 tbsp water
2 tbsp coconut oil
1) Pre-soak the soy mince for a few minutes before squeezing as much water from it as possible.
2) Soften the onion and garlic in a frying pan for a few minutes with the coconut oil and remove from the heat.
3) Add the onion, garlic soy mince and to the soy sauce and water in a big bowl and mix before adding the wheat gluten.
4) Thoroughly mix everything and then to finish, add all the remaining ingredients and knead one more time.
5) At this stage you can shape the mixture into sausages and wrap them tightly in grease proof paper. Tie one end and gently press the sausage down before tying the other end.
6) Now you need to steam the wrapped chorizo sausages for one hour on a low heat for 1 hour. Alternatively, you can steam them in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes.
7) Allow them to cool before slicing.
At the mixing stage the ingredients might seem too dry to form a solid ball but persist and the flour will all mix in perfectly.