Improve running performance with beetroot!
There is evidence to suggest that eating more of this delicious vegetable can improve your running performance so why not! Spice up any BBQ!
1200g raw beetroot
200ml apple cider vinegar
100g pure cane sugar
3 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp paprika
3 cardamon seeds
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1) Peel and dice the beetroot. Cover and bring to the boil then simmer with 500ml of water for around 45 minutes until soft. Add more water as necessary.
2) Add the vinegar and cook again for 15/20 minutes.
3) Remove from the heat and blend on high power until it forms a ketchup like sauce. This can be in a food processor or with a stick blender.
4) Return it to the pan and cook for another 10/15 minutes with the sugar and spices.
5) Transfer to sterilised jars and allow to cool.
If you are anything like me, extreme care is needed with clothes for this recipe! I sterilized my jars in a pressure cooker but by boiling in a pan or covering with boiling water should be enough. I store it in the fridge but with well sterilised jars it should last for up to a year in a cool dry place.